Blake

High Peak number forty-three was named after Mills Blake, chief clerk and assistant of the Adirondack Survey. Blake become Colvin’s assistant in 1872, and for the next eighteen years, the two unmarried men lived and worked together, committing their lives to the Adirondack Survey. The duo spent the warmer months in the Adirondacks doing field work and the winters in Albany organizing their data.

In 1924, a few of Blake’s friends (including the Marshall brothers and Carson) though it would be fitting to name this 3,960-foot peak, which sits just to the south of Mt. Colvin, after the man who devoted so much of his life as assistant to Colvin’s Adirondack Survey. Mapmaker Anthony S. Hopkins agreed that this would be be a fantastic way to pay tribute to these two men, so he wrote the name on the Conservation Commission’s 1925 map of the Adirondacks.

Ed Phelps led a man named Miller on the first known ascent of this peak around 1874. While the mountain doesn’t have extremely impressive views, it is typically hiked with its neighbor, Mount Colvin.