“The origins of the Confucius Temple of Taipei can be traced back to 1875 when the Qing court established Taipei as a prefecture city for Northern Taiwan.”Taipei Confucius Temple: Governing Board
Taipei, The Prefecture
The Qing dynasty designated Taipei as a prefecture of the region, embarking on a mission to transform the city into a proper administrative region. In line with the developments of the Ming dynasty, the city planned and constructed a Confucucian Temple for worship and study. The temple was created as a joint effort between the military and the local gentry with various imported artifacts, as well as musicians and other performers who were familiar with Confucian rites from Fujian province in mainland China. After construction finished, the temple performed regular sacrifices and ceremonies.
Taipei, Under the Japanese
During the Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895), Japanese forces occupied the Taipei Confucius Temple and in their occupation destroyed many tablets. After the war, control over the island of Taiwan was transferred from China to Japan and the Taipei Confucius Temple was destroyed and replaced with the Taipei First Girls High School. While Confucian tradition still existed within the local community of Taipei, temple worship continued sporadically. The 1927 reconstruction of the temple was supported mostly by the local community, who established funds and donated land for the reconstruction.
Taipei, Under the ROC
In 1945 Taiwan was ceded to the Republic of China by the Allied Powers after the Communist takeover of mainland China (Figure 5.3). In response to the Cultural Revolution on the mainland, the new regime in Taiwan sought to revitalize traditional Chinese culture. This revitalization was known as the Chinese Cultural Renaissance Movement. Under this movement, President Chiang Kai-shek (1943-1948) commissioned the Taipei Confucius Temple to reestablish its traditional Confucian practices.