which is also known as the Way of the Orthodox Unity. The temple centers Dong Yue the Great, who is the deity of the Eastern Mountain (the Mountain Tai), as the primary deity worshiped in the temple.
Since the Yuan dynasty, Daoist priests annually host a temple festival on March 28th, which is believed to be the birthday of Dong Yue the Great; priests conduct sacrificial offerings to the deity to for the imperial family and ordinary people to receive longevity and prosperity.
However, since 1912, due to the breakdown of the Qing dynasty and the rise of various warlords, the Dong Yue temple was forced to reduce its religious practices. Finally in early 1949, the temple was forced by the government to cease any religious activities, and it was remade into an administrative center or a school for non-religious purposes.
Several decades after the closedown, in the 1999 the Dong Yue temple reopened its gate to the public under the name of the Beijing Folk Custom Museum. Officials of the museum resumed hosting the temple festival annually, but they moved the date from Dong Yue the Great’s birthday to the first week in the Spring Festival, which is the date of traditional Chinese New Year that takes place between 21 January and 20 February.